Throw a rock in the air, and you’re bound to hear an opinion about how to make your life better if you “buy this” or “do that”; with so much information swirling around, it can be difficult to discern who to listen to.
American Jazz great Charles Mingus opined that the key to creativity is to “make the complicated simple, awesomely simple.” In that spirit, we want to share 10 Simple Expert Tips for Keeping Your New Year’s Resolutions.
These are simple, straightforward tips from people who have won at this game of life… we figure they know a thing or two about reaching goals.
- “Perseverance is the secret of all triumphs.” French poet and novelist Victor Hugo.
- “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.” Physicist and Chemist Marie Curie, pioneer in radioactivity research.
- “Everything that I’ve ever been able to accomplish in skating and in life has come out of adversity and perseverance.” Four-time world champion and Olympic Gold Medalist, figure skater Scott Hamilton.
- “Don’t be a time manager, be a priority manager. Cut your major goals into bite-sized pieces. Each small priority or requirement on the way to an ultimate goal become a mini goal in itself.” Denis E. Waitley, American motivational speaker, writer and consultant.
- “I learned to put 100% into what you’re doing. I learned about setting goals for yourself, knowing where you want to be and taking small steps toward those goals. I learned about adversity and how to get past it.” Olympic gold medalist and world champion figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi.
- “Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn’t formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them.” Professional body builder Lee Haney. He is the joint record holder for winning the most Olympic gold medals, with 8.
- “Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.” Martin Luther King, Jr., American Baptist minister, activist, humanitarian and leader.
- “Desire is the key to motivation, but it’s determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal – a commitment to excellence – that will enable you to attain the success you seek.” World champion race car driver, Mario Andretti.
- “Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” American Founding Father, Thomas Jefferson.
- “Fear can be good when you’re walking past an alley at night or when you need to check the locks on your doors before you go to bed, but it’s not good when you have a goal and you’re fearful of obstacles. We often get trapped by our fears, but anyone who has had success has failed before.” American artist and actress Queen Latifah.
What do you think of our list? Do you have any tips to add to it? Share your thoughts in the comments below.